Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry shortcake is one of those things I took for granted. It seemed like a dessert that lacked any real umph and so I never tried it. It seemed too simple for me. But recently, I have been thinking about beauty in simplicity and went back and took a look at a shortcake recipe in one of my cookbooks - Baking Illustrated by the Editors of Cook's Illustrated Magazine. This cookbook is a fabulous one. It's one of the best I have and if you are an avid baker, I urge you to grab one for your cookbook stash.
Stawberry shortcakes are indeed simple, consisting of a scone-like biscuit filled with strawberries and topped with a cloud of whipped cream. I had just made a batch of strawberry compote with fresh whole strawberries that I intended to use for this treat. This extra jamminess made for a tantalizing breakfast choice.
If you want a simply beautiful treat for breakfast, as a snack, or any time of the day, really, try a homemade strawberry shortcake.



No comments:

Post a Comment