Monday, September 5, 2011

Black & Whites

If New York had a cookie it could call its own, it would be the black and white cookie. You can find them all over New York City in the many delis that saturate the blocks of nearly every neighborhood! And if you have never tried one, the next time you find yourself in New York, do yourself a favor and get one. They are a cookie unlike any other. The base is a vanilla cake-like cookie with the slightest hint of lemon. The frosting is a thin layer of half chocolate, half vanilla resulting in the well-known black and white design.
This cookie is my husband's favorite, which is fitting because he is a New Yorker, born and bred. While he was away on a recent business trip, I thought I would surprise him with something he loves upon his return. What better than his favorite black and white cookie, homemade!!


It's a fairly easy cookie to make - in fact it took me under an hour from start to finish, even after losing power in my house as I pulled out the final batch of cookies from the oven! The cookie base and the icing are both simple but the union of the two is a perfect marriage.


No comments:

Post a Comment