Thursday, April 19, 2012

Chocolate Cake in Under a Minute

When I bake at home, I try my best to make the treats as pretty and presentable as possible so I can photograph them and put them up on this blog. So making cakes and other such goodies is no easy task. It's tedious work that will eventually result in a nice pic to show you all. Well, as nice a pic as I can take with my current point-and-shoot, but that"s a story for another time. :-)
Sometimes I just need a sweet fix in a matter of minutes. Do you ever feel that way? And I'm generally not too big on candy or cookies... I prefer cake. And we all know that cake is not a 5-minute job. Or is it?
I stumbled upon this recipe that promises a quick, chocolatey, hit-the-spot kind of cake that is made in a mug of all things, quicker than brewing a cup of tea! Preparation time: as fast as you can gather the ingredients from your fridge and pantry (I have a small kitchen, so maybe 90 seconds). Cook time: if you have a 1000 watt microwave, 20 seconds! Alright, maybe 1 minute, since you have to let it cool so you don't burn off your taste buds.
I made it and my, oh my. Chocolate cake in under 5 minutes..... PRICELESS.
Dust powdered sugar over it, drizzle it with chocolate sauce, or pair it with berries and whipped cream for an even yummier quick fix.



Chocolate Cake in a Hurry

(Inspired by PBS Food, Fresh Tastes)
Makes 2 servings

1 egg, beaten
1/2 t vanilla extract
2 t canola oil
1 T heavy cream
1 T flour
2 T cocoa powder
2 T sugar or sugar substitute
1/4 t baking powder
pinch of salt
cooking spray or 1 t canola oil to prepare the mugs

Combine the egg in a small bowl with the vanilla, oil, and heavy cream. In two mugs, use the cooking spray or brush the oil generously to coat the inside. Make sure to cover entirely with oil otherwise the cake will not easily slide out onto your plate (which isn't really a bad thing if you choose to eat it out of the mug). Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, sugar (or sugar substitute) and baking powder together with the pinch of salt. Then add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and mix until no lumps remain. Divide the batter among the two mugs and place one mug in the microwave. Cook one cake at a time. Set your timer for 30 seconds but the second you see the cake rising up the side of the mug, take it out. It is ready. This will take approximately 18-22 seconds, depending on the strength of your microwave. Take care not to overbake the cake. Unmold the cake onto a plate as soon as you take it out of the microwave. Repeat with the other cake.
Sit back and try to enjoy this cake for a little longer than it took you to make it. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment